Monday, August 30, 2010

Lovers in Japan

This week I arranged "Lovers in Japan" for our string trio because it's one of my favorite Coldplay songs.  And aside from the fact that I saw Coldplay last year in concert, I was lucky enough to go to Japan last summer!  I can't get enough of traveling really, and always wish I could do more.  Already can't wait for the next trip, wherever it may be.

This week's topic? Travelers: how do you incorporate worldly themes into your wedding?  Especially when you're, well, American, and it feels out of place to have a totally cultural wedding.

There are actually quite a few ways to bring your worldly experiences back home and into your wedding.  Since Japan is on my mind tonight I'll focus on that for this post.  While in the country, three things that caught my eye (and taste buds) more than anything were Japan's stationary/fine papers, cuisine, and fabric.  I loved perusing shops in search of scrapbooking papers (usually I'd buy origami papers) or delicate stationary--some of the best handmade and detailed papers I had ever seen.  The foodie in me enjoyed devouring anything from green tea soft-serve to pork ramen (the freshly made kind).  And, nestled among the other westernized trendy shops was the occasional kimono maker.  A tailor's shop, where you could choose a gorgeous fabric for your one-of-a-kind kimono and have it custom made.  I stood especially in awe of those kimono shops, as the fabrics were detailed, silky, and, of course, rather expensive.


Below are some Japanese-themed ideas that incorporate these three favorites.


Invitations using fine paper:




More craines for Singapore's 2009 Lunar New Year at the Singapore Botanical Gardens:




Paper fans for a warm day:






Sushi (these pics are from a reception I attended):







If you're looking for a bit of a surprise cake, think of the ever-popular cupcake idea... but with (get ready...) sushi cakes.  I love this.



Matcha (green tea) cupcakes:




If you read my rainbow post, you'll know that I love the reception photobooth idea.  Add a nice Japanese flair to photos with a fabric drape.  http://www.fabrictales.com sells Japanese fabric by the yard.




If all these beautiful prints haven't left you feeling inspired, check out this Versace top:






Hey, I had to have some fashion in this post!  


Again, unless you're going for a full-fledged Japanese-themed party, only use a couple of these ideas for your wedding.  If you and your partner have a special and significant city, country, or place, why not pay a little tribute to it on such an important day.  Like, instead of numbering your reception dinner tables, name them after cities you've visited.  Like, making an Eiffel-Tower-shaped cake because that's where he proposed.  Like, asking your string trio to play tangos because you're honeymooning in Argentina. You get the idea ;)


**While I'm writing, please be sure to revisit our website and blog soon!  Tomorrow Chesapeake Strings is doing a photo shoot with Allison Britton, Alexandria-based photographer!  We love her pictures and can't wait to work with her ourselves.  Check out her website: abrittonphotography.com.

3 comments:

  1. I love sushi and I would have loved attending this party :-) Looks like it was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where where where did you find those invitations with the cherry blossoms? love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sushi too Oksana and am always looking for new places :)

    Danielle, I found the invitations here:
    http://www.clairepatrick.com/wedding_gallery_I.html

    There should also be a link in the blog post when you click on the word "invitations"!

    ReplyDelete